Connection problems with 3.01, install problems with 3.20 Beta

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Daniel Geh

Connection problems with 3.01, install problems with 3.20 Beta

Post by Daniel Geh » Mon 19 Dec 2005 09:00

Hi,

I'm using OraDirect on barcodescanners that are connected to the network using a WLAN connection. I got the same problems
as described in http://www.crlab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2460
and http://www.crlab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2209 .

Problems occure after the device changed to standby-mode.
Setting Pooling=false as a workaround did not work for me, the errors keep coming up. I found out another workaround, as it seems: waiting for about a minute after the device changed from standby-mode back to running-mode seems to help.

When trying to install 3.20 Beta, i get an error 1722 at the very end of the installation routine. Therfore the error remains a problem.
Any additional ideas how to solve that issue? When is 3.20 going final?

Thanks in advance,

kind regards
Daniel Geh

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri 23 Dec 2005 13:23

We have reproduced the problem and now are working on it.

Related to the text of socket exceptions "ressource assembly was not found"
It looks like application cannot find resource dll with string messages according to the text of socket exceptions. We can see this only with Compact Framework 1 applications on pocket PC with Compact Framework 2. We plan to release OraDirect .NET with Compact Framework 2 support that does not have this error.

We cannot reproduce 1722 in our environment. 1722 error can happen if something is wrong in your Windows configuration. Do you have .Net Framework 2.0 on your computer?

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri 23 Dec 2005 13:53

We found some problems with Pooling=false. Fix of this problem will be included in OraDirect .NET 3.20

Daniel Geh

Post by Daniel Geh » Wed 18 Jan 2006 17:37

I now tested the new Version for the .NET CF 1.1 and I still have these problems, or related problems:

I'm now checking the connection state of the WLAN-Adapter in my HandheldPC. If I don`t have a connection (after waking up from standby)
my programm will wait for some time before talking to the database.

Well, depending on the time the device is waiting before talking to the database, I'll get one of these errors:
> A socket encountered a dead network
> ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
> An Operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

the last two Exceptions in the list don't show up always, but more often than they don't show up.

The time I have to wait to not get any errors is about 20 secs with Pooling=false and 35 secs with Pooling=true.

While waiting I'm frequently checking the state of the WLAN adapter. It's up and online about 5-10 secs after waking up from standby.

I'd really like to get this Problem solved, so any help/update is apreciated. :)

kind regards
Daniel Geh