How to specify Interbase or Firebird?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for InterBase & Firebird in Delphi and C++Builder
PatrickNY

How to specify Interbase or Firebird?

Post by PatrickNY » Mon 10 Dec 2012 14:51

I downloaded the IB-FB trial package. I expected 2 drivers, one for Interbase and one for Firebird, although I see only one. I understand the two database systems are similar, but I expect there are some differences. When my application makes a request, how do I tell the driver whether I am sending it an Interbase database or a Firebird database? I read through the documentation, such as it is, and didn't see anything about this. Does the driver determine this?

AndreyZ

Re: How to specify Interbase or Firebird?

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 10 Dec 2012 16:08

Hello,

dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird uses the client library that is specified in the TSQLConnection.VendorLib property. Usually, gds32.dll is the InterBase client library, and fbclient.dll is the Firebird client library. But dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird does not rely on the file name of the client library. After the connection to the server is established (if it is possible), dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird determines the version of the server and uses this information internally. This way dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird can use the unique functionality of each server.

PatrickNY

Post by PatrickNY » Mon 10 Dec 2012 16:32

Andrey, thank you. I originally got the Unsupported ODS message - found 32779 support 15.
After than I see that dbxdrivers.ini was installed with VendorLib-gds32.dll. Right now I am working on a Firebird database, so I can change that to FBClient.dll. I also see that dbxdrivers.ini contains GetDriverFunc=getSQLDriverInterBase. Is that the only driver and should remain unchanged?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 10 Dec 2012 17:45

To choose the database server (InterBase or Firebird), you should change only the VendorLib property. All other driver options (like GetDriverFunc or DriverName) you should not change.