How to generate case insensitive LIKE comparision with LINQ?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM
StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 14 Oct 2010 15:50

We have released the 5.80.180 build of dotConnect for MySQL with the support for String.IndexOf(string, StringComparison). You can download it from
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/download.html
(the trial version only) or from Registered Users' Area (provided that you have an active subscription):
http://secure.devart.com/

For more information about the improvements and fixes available in dotConnect for MySQL 5.80.180, please refer to
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19238

The new 1.0.42 build of LinqConnect is available as well, its trial version is available at
http://www.devart.com/linqconnect/download.html

For the detailed information about LinqConnect 1.0.42, please see
http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19244

johnb

Post by johnb » Tue 16 Nov 2010 12:09

Hi StanislavK

I tried the code you suggested but it dosent generate a like statement as expected. The SQl generate is

Code: Select all

WHERE (INSTR(t10.org_name, :p0)-1)  0  ORDER BY 
the line I used is

_JobModelViewCollection = _JobModelViewCollection.Where(Function(j) j.Client.IndexOf(ClientName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase))
Am I doing soeming wrong or is the expected behaviuor because the query returns nothing which is not the case.

JOhn

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 16 Nov 2010 16:32

In the query you've specified, Visual Basic implicitly converts the result of IndexOf() to boolean, hence it is the same as "j.Client.IndexOf(...) 0", meaning that the Client field does not start with the ClientName literal.

Only queries like "j.Client.IndexOf(...) >= 0" are translated using the LIKE operator; please try executing

_JobModelViewCollection.Where(Function(j) j.Client.IndexOf
       (ClientName, StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase) >= 0)
and tell us if this helps.

johnb

Post by johnb » Tue 16 Nov 2010 19:54

Hi StanislavK

Thanks for that it generated the corrcet sqL with a LIKE.

Quick question, how come this wasnt implemented using Contains which is a bit less obscure and consistent with StartWith etc?

Thanks again

John

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 18 Nov 2010 17:37

Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider supporting the String.StartsWith(string, StringComparison) overload.

As for the String.Contains() method, the problem is that it has no overloads with a StringComparison argument.

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Wed 08 Dec 2010 17:16

You can use StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase instead of StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase as the second argument in the StartsWith/EndsWith methods to generate a command with case-insensitive LIKE.

unclelem

Re: How to generate case insensitive LIKE comparision with LINQ?

Post by unclelem » Tue 08 Dec 2015 20:14

We seem to have run into this problem again. (note that I've read the above discussion and understand it)

Running a simple query:

var query = from it in session.GetTable<Doc>()
                   where it.Id.StartsWith(prefix, StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase)
                   select it;
generates the following SQL

SELECT t1.Id, ...
FROM Docs t1
WHERE BINARY t1.Id LIKE :p0 LIMIT :p1 , :p2
-- p0: Input VarChar (Size = 7; DbType = AnsiString) [Docs/6%]
-- Context: Devart.Data.MySql.Linq.Provider.MySqlDataProvider Mapping: FluentMappingSource Build 4.5.816.0
Where Id is the primary key of Doc - a varchar[40]

entity.FullTableName("Docs").PrimaryKey(p => p.Id);
entity.Property(p => p.Id).ServerDataType("VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL");
Unfortunately this query performs a full table scan instead of using the already-existing primary index.
Supposedly using StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase should eliminate the BINARY keyword here, but it apparently does not.

Did something break?
Could it be somehow confused because the DB default charset is utf8 ?

I can fix this by creating another (FULLTEXT) index, but I would much rather not, as the table is huge.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Edit:
... and to answer my own question (and yes, I think it is a bug - likely in your query generator):

My class defines Id as a string. However if I change my class definition to String (capitalized) it works as expected. Since string is an alias of String, I would expect either to work, however only one of them does.

If nothing else, I hope this saves somebody a bunch of debugging.

Thanks

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: How to generate case insensitive LIKE comparision with LINQ?

Post by MariiaI » Thu 10 Dec 2015 13:43

We couldn't reproduce this error in our environment with the latest build of LinqConnect 4.5.881. We are sending you a small test project to the e-mail address you provided in your forum profile. Please check that is not blocked by your mail filter. Please test it and notify us about the results.
If this doesn't help, please modify it so that the issue could be reproduced and send it back to us, or send us your sample project (with the necessary DDL/DML scripts).