Using evaluation version on test server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding LinqConnect – Devart's LINQ to SQL compatible ORM
neiltrodden

Using evaluation version on test server

Post by neiltrodden » Tue 05 Mar 2013 16:15

Hi,

I've deployed the evaluation version of LinqConnect for Oracle to our test server and it say that it can't find the license for this. Am I able to use this evaluation version on our test server? This is part of our evaluation, IE, showing that it works in our test environment. It works fine on my development machine though?

edit:

Just to make this clear, I am using linqconnect in a separate class library file that I add as a reference into an ASP.NET MVC4 application. Do I have to do anything special in this scenario?

StanislavK
Devart Team

Re: Using evaluation version on test server

Post by StanislavK » Tue 05 Mar 2013 18:06

Please specify the exact product you are evaluating (this can be either LinqConnect Professional or dotConnect for Oracle Professional).

Generally, to evaluate either product on a machine where this product is not installed, you have to add a resource with the technical license into your application.

As for dotConnect for Oracle, the detailed information about technical licensing is available in our documentation:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nsing.html

For LinqConnect Trial, the process is generally the same, though you should license the OracleDataProvider object instead of OracleConnection. You can also refer to the following forum topic for more details:
http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?t=19773

Feel free to contact us if you encounter any problems with this.

neiltrodden

Post by neiltrodden » Tue 05 Mar 2013 21:10

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

It's the LinqConnect Professional for Oracle trial. Can you tell me specifically what I need to put in the licenses.licx file because I am just guessing here and really need to know so I can get my visual studio project to build my App_Licenses.dll?

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Wed 06 Mar 2013 13:18

You should do the following steps with the licenses.licx file:
- Open this file with a text editor and place these lines inside:

Code: Select all

Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq.Provider.OracleDataProvider, Devart.Data.Oracle.Linq
Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection, Devart.Data.Oracle
- Save the file and add it to your project.
- Make sure it is embedded as a resource.

IDE should compile the license automatically. If it fails, you can do it yourself as described in section Compiling License Manually.

As for the assembly App_Licenses.dll, you should only use it if your ASP.NET application is not precompiled. For more details on this, refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... g.html#asp

neiltrodden

Post by neiltrodden » Wed 06 Mar 2013 14:21

Just for anyone who follows, I compiled it manually using the contents of the license.licx file as shown above and then included that outputted file as a resource.

Thanks for your help!

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Thu 07 Mar 2013 08:02

Glad to see that the issue was resolved. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.