Connection Pooling Sometimes Results in Exaustion of Cursors

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
rsnell72

Connection Pooling Sometimes Results in Exaustion of Cursors

Post by rsnell72 » Tue 22 Dec 2009 21:19

I have some tables sitting in a schema on a 10.2 oracle database. I am using dotConnect for Oracle 5.35.57. I have an EDMX created from the Entity Framework Wizard on top of which is layered an ADO.NET Data Services service. I have a two interrelated tables with which I can reliably reproduce the problem (although I have no doubt it will happen with other tables as well). When I perform a number of selects, inserts, and deletes against the tables, the cursors associated with the web service's session on the database increases until it hits 300, after which an ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded is returned. The web service will not service any additional calls until an iisreset is performed. When the service is recycled, the cursors are freed. If the "ConnectionPooling=false" option is used in the connection string this does not happen. Of course, it is a big performance hit so I would prefer to get this resolved.

I have tried to reproduce this in miniature so that I could post a link to a solution wherein this occurs but I have not been successful so far. I continue to make the sample solution more complex in an attempt to get it to fail as the full-sized production application is. I cannot send the production solution for legal reasons. Any ideas on how to reproduce this or provide more information on how I might replicate the problem or debug this problem are welcome.
Last edited by rsnell72 on Tue 29 Dec 2009 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 24 Dec 2009 10:43

Sample project will help us greatly.
Just a hint: try looking into the sys.V_$OPEN_CURSOR view, maybe you will be able to find the cursor that hangs.
Are you using Direct connection mode?

rsnell72

Post by rsnell72 » Tue 29 Dec 2009 14:08

I am not using Direct Connection mode.