Install error??

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
st0rmwatch

Install error??

Post by st0rmwatch » Thu 01 Mar 2012 15:24

I have downloaded and installed the trial version of UniDAC. I am currently running RAD Studio XE and the install program ran without error. However, when I start RAD Studio XE I see no components in my tool palette. I attempted to find some installation instructions on the forums, installation directories, and website to no avail in the attempt to determine if a manual install step was required. I have looked through my installed packages and I have entries for the following:

DevArt Data Access GUI related Components
Universal Data Access GUI related Components

the later of which I manually installed. Still no VCL components display in the tool palette, although I do get the startup message that my 60 trial has begun. Additionally I have tried loading some of the demo projects all of which alert me that they will be upgrade/converted. After which 90% of their design is scrapped due to lack of, you guessed it, components.

Whats up?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Fri 02 Mar 2012 13:38

Hello,

You don't need to install UniDAC packages from Trial Edition manually. Please try the following:
- close RAD Studio XE;
- remove UniDAC;
- remove all *dac*.bpl and *crcontrols*.bpl files from your computer;
- install UniDAC;
- open RAD Studio XE and create a new VCL Forms Application.
After this, there must be two new tabs in Tool Pallette, "UniDAC" and "UniDAC Providers". If you still don't see these tabs, please check that all Devart packages are checked in the installed packages list. For this, open RAD Studio main menu->Component->Install Packages and check all packages that have the "Devart", "Uni Access", or "Universal Data Access" strings in their names.

st0rmwatch

Post by st0rmwatch » Fri 02 Mar 2012 16:45

Well I preformed all the steps as directed and still no additions to the tool palette. I proceeded to check the installed packages and now no DevArt items are listed at all. Additionally the message I was receiving previously about the 60 day trial no longer appears at Rad Studio XE start.

I am running Win7 64bit if that might have a bearing on why the install routine is having difficulty making the entries I need for Rad Studio XE to receive the changes. Doubtful but I mention it for completeness. If it is possible I'm comfortable doing a manual install if you have the directions for that approach.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Sat 03 Mar 2012 10:31

Please try the following:
- remove UniDAC;
- check that there are no dacvcl150.bpl, datasetmanager150.bpl, dclcrcontrols150.bpl, and dcldac150.bpl values in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key. If there are any, delete them.
- install UniDAC with administrator's rights;
- open RAD Studio XE with administrator's rights.