Unable to find metadata

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
blakewell

Unable to find metadata

Post by blakewell » Fri 26 Mar 2010 13:26

I am getting an error when trying to use Entity Developers generated data model that says:

"Unable to find metadata for 'DataSourceModel1Entities'

I am using VS2010 RC1 and the latest beta version of the devArt toolkit. I am also using the Oracle dotNet connector. Please let me know what options I can try. Thanks!

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 26 Mar 2010 14:11

Thank you for the report, we are working on this problem.
As a temporary workaround set Metadata Artifact Processing to CopyToOutputDirectory in the standalone Entity Developer, generate metadata and add it to the VS solution.

blakewell

Issue Still Exists

Post by blakewell » Fri 26 Mar 2010 14:43

The issue still exists. Where do I place the metadata files? I placed them in the web project under the root? Do I need to set the Copy to Output Directory or any other parameters? Thanks for your help!

blakewell

Post by blakewell » Fri 26 Mar 2010 19:02

Actually after adding your solution I realize this only occurs for RIA services. Are there any solutions for RIA services?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 29 Mar 2010 14:45

I recommend you to wait for the upcoming build (it will be available in several days).
This build will contain fix concerning metadata, so no workarounds will be necessary.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide RIA Services support for Devart Entity Data Models (.edml),
so you will be able to use only Microsoft Entity Data Models (.edmx) anyway.

blakewell

Post by blakewell » Mon 29 Mar 2010 14:50

Thank you for your feedback. Is there any timeline concerning support for the release of RIA services or will this always be a feature only integrated with Microsoft's Entity Framework? I have seen examples of using NHibernate with RIA services so I would think this could eventually be done. I completely understand that this is all new stuff but I do like the looks of your designer and would love to use if if it could eventually meet this need. Thanks!

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 30 Mar 2010 09:09

We are investigating the possibility to add RIA Services support.
As a temporary workaround, try changing the extension of the generated .edml model to .edmx, this should work.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Thu 08 Apr 2010 11:43

I'm trying the very same thing.. but I just cannot select any entities while adding a new Domain Service Class?

1. In Entity Developer I selected the "add metadata to output folder", then F7 and export to VS2010 project (subfolder Devart).
2. MODEL save AS ...edml (in subfolder Devart) + edml was renamed to edmx.
3. Added edmx + entity classes to project.. the edmx can be opened as a normal one.
4. Try adding a new Domain Service Class.. I can select my DataObject.. but cannot see any Entities underneath. If I press OK I receive an error.

"Unable to load the specified metadata resource."

or

"Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Make sure "System.ServiceModel.DomainServices.EntityFramework.MetadataResource.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Microsoft.VisualStudio.ServiceModel.DomainServices.Tools" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed."

Where do I put which files?
Please help.

Regards,
Joost Van Gansbeke
dotConnect for Oracle 5.60 (Developer) with Visual Studio 2010

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 08 Apr 2010 13:58

Please check that you have added the Model.csdl, Model.ssdl, and Model.msl files to the project.
The Copy To Output Directory property for these files should be set to Copy If Newer.
Also please make sure that your connection string contains proprer references to these metadata files.
It should not contain the "res://" part, instead it should contain either absolute or referential path to these files, for example,

Code: Select all

metadata=DataSourceModel1.csdl|DataSourceModel1.ssdl|DataSourceModel1.msl

in case these files are in the Bin folder of the project.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Thu 08 Apr 2010 15:47

Have been trying for hours now, still I cannot get it to work.. "Unable to find metadata for 'Entities', which is the Entity Container Name of the Model in Entity Developer.

The error is triggered by the other frontend project, not the wcf project containing the model.

Maybe my connectionstring is wrong?

Andy ideas?

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Fri 09 Apr 2010 08:20

Is there any way to get RIA working using the Devart Entity Developer or not? If not, I will stop searching an get on with the project itself. If so, please let me know.

However, many thanks for all effort so far. 8)

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:21

We experience some problems with RIA Services in Visual Studio 2010 Release Candidate.
At the moment we are performing our tests on VS 2010 RTM, I will let you know as soon as our tests are completed.

Joost Van Gansbeke

Post by Joost Van Gansbeke » Wed 14 Apr 2010 15:29

Thanks...

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 22 Apr 2010 15:03

I have made some tests with EF 4 RTM and RIA Services 4 RC.
The .edmx model generated over Oracle database works smoothly.
The .edml model has a foreign key problem, it is investigated now.
I will post here as soon as any new information about the .edml problem is available.

mcassidy

Post by mcassidy » Tue 27 Apr 2010 16:55

I have tried to do this by using the Entity Developer against and Oracle Express database. I am able to create the model just fine, and then when I try to create the RIA domain service class, it does not see any of the entities. I am using VWD Express 2010 and the trial version of the provider. I have the metadata (csdl, etc.) added to the project with "Copy If Newer" set. I have also checked the connection string in the designer.vb file. All seems to be in order, yet the domain services class wizard does not show the entities. It does list the framework.