UNI Dac Demo with SQL Server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
jrheisler

UNI Dac Demo with SQL Server

Post by jrheisler » Tue 25 Oct 2011 22:28

I am reviewing the demo UNI application from your website. I can log onto Oracle, but I am not able to log into SQL Server.

This is a screen shot of my log in using MS SQL Server Management Studio:

How do I log into the demo app using the above login?[/img]

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 26 Oct 2011 09:34

Hello,

Please try using the following code:

Code: Select all

UniConnection.ProviderName := 'SQL Server';
UniConnection.Server := 'JRHEISLER-PC\SQLEXPRESS';
UniConnection.SpecificOptions.Values['Authentication'] := 'auWindows';
UniConnection.LoginPrompt := False;
UniConnection.Open;
, and check if you can connect. If you cannot connect using this code, please specify the exact error that occurs.

jrheisler

Post by jrheisler » Wed 26 Oct 2011 13:41

Ok, but that would be something I can't do in the demo?

jrheisler

Post by jrheisler » Wed 26 Oct 2011 14:16

BTW, I sent an email to your sales@ email:

My name is Jeff Heisler. I work for a small US company, and we are in the process of converting a large fat client Oracle client (Delphi 7, DOA Oracle Components (dataset/query...))

We purchased RemObjects Data Abstract for our long range cross database support. But right now, we are in a huge time crunch to convert straight to sql server.

My question is, do you have some sort of cross marketing thing with RemObjects, or do I need to purchase your sql server components separately? More importantly, are your components well suited for a component level swap out with DOA components?

We are rather desperate, and extremely time sensitive.

Thank you in advance!

Jeff Heisler
[email protected]

Is there a way to have a conversation at devart?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 26 Oct 2011 15:21

jrheisler wrote:Ok, but that would be something I can't do in the demo?
In UniDACDemo you should choose the SQL Server provider, your server, and your database in the connection dialog, and leave username and password blank. In this case UniDAC will use the Windows authentication.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 26 Oct 2011 15:27

My question is, do you have some sort of cross marketing thing with RemObjects, or do I need to purchase your sql server components separately?
We don't have any agreements with RemObjects, you have to buy our components separately.
More importantly, are your components well suited for a component level swap out with DOA components?
We constantly improve UniDAC and add new functionality to it, so we think you will find our components appropriate for replacing DOA components. UniDAC has a lot of features, you can find more information about them here: http://www.devart.com/unidac/features.html

jrheisler

Post by jrheisler » Wed 26 Oct 2011 17:51

Thank you so much for you info, so, I should go with UniDAC instead of SDAC, as in the long run we still have to support Oracle.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 27 Oct 2011 12:37

UniDAC provides unified access to a lot of database servers, such as SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, InterBase, Firebird, PostgreSQL, SQLite, NexusDB, and others. If you want to use server-specific features of SQL Server and Oracle, it's better to use SDAC and ODAC. You can try using UniDAC, SDAC, and ODAC trial versions to check which components are more suitable for you.

jrheisler

Post by jrheisler » Thu 27 Oct 2011 12:56

Thanks for the info. We are trying to come up with a single solution for Oracle and SQL Server, so I'll give UniDAC a shot.

Now if I can only get it installed.

I posted this, this am:

http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 13&start=0

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 27 Oct 2011 13:36

I have already answered you there.

jrheisler

Post by jrheisler » Tue 01 Nov 2011 21:15

I finally have the components installed, and have my boss ordering them with source.

I did run into something. If I go to use the UniConnectForm, and leave the username/password blank, I get an error message of:

Project CMStatV6.exe raised exception class EMSError with message 'Login failed for user 'sa'.'. Process stopped. Use Step or Run to continue.

You told me earlier how to log in using SQL Server as:

UniConnection.ProviderName := 'SQL Server';
UniConnection.Server := 'JRHEISLER-PC\SQLEXPRESS';
UniConnection.SpecificOptions.Values['Authentication'] := 'auWindows';
UniConnection.LoginPrompt := False;
UniConnection.Open;

Does this mean I can't use UniConnectForm?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 02 Nov 2011 09:42

For the time being TUniConnectForm doesn't support server-specific connection options. We plan to add such functionality in the future, but we cannot provide any timeframe. To avoid this problem, you can write your own connection form. Please take a look at the example of such connection form in the UniDACDemo->ConnectDialog demo.