feature: options for schema generation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
mindplay

feature: options for schema generation

Post by mindplay » Mon 27 Feb 2012 16:23

Please, could you add some options for schema generation and schema updates?

Adding descriptions to the schema should be optional - I have very long descriptions on some of my columns/tables, and I do not want a schema-update every time a description changes. My descriptions are documentation for the code, not for the schema, so this feature doesn't make sense for me.

Generating constraints should be optional - I currently have to remove these by hand, because (1) the constraints aren't always valid or correct, and (2) some constraints prevent me from performing schema-migrations, because the migration itself violates the constraints. I prefer to maintain constraints by hand. Alternatively, this could be a column-setting that allows me to turn off constraints on a case-by-case basis.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Sat 03 Mar 2012 12:22

mindplay wrote:Adding descriptions to the schema should be optional
mindplay wrote:Generating constraints should be optional
Thank you for your suggestions. We will investigate the possibility of their implementation and post here about the results.

Current workaround for using comments: if you move your comments from Summary to Long Description, they will not be considered as database schema comments.

[Edit]
Modified reply in this post basing on the Entity Developer history:
4.2.120 27-Jan-12
The behaviour is changed: database column comments are transfered to the Summary attribute of the Documentation property now
[/Edit]
Last edited by Shalex on Wed 07 Mar 2012 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Mon 05 Mar 2012 13:35

I use the summary for developer-information, because it displays in the IDE. I use the Long Description for detailed notes documenting how things work or how they're intended to be used.

I have thousands of documentation entries, so that's not an acceptable work-around.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: feature: options for schema generation

Post by Shalex » Mon 17 Sep 2012 11:59

The "Use Database Comments" option of Model Settings is implemented to determine whether comments for database objects, if supported by DBMS, will be used for model objects Documentation initialization and taken into account when executing model or database update operations.

We will post here when the corresponding build of Entity Developer is available for download.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: feature: options for schema generation

Post by Shalex » Thu 04 Oct 2012 15:40

New version of Entity Developer 4.7 is released!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25013.