Code Compare 3.0 Gains Speed and Usability Boost
May 14, 2013
Devart proudly announces the new release of Code Compare 3.0 with the tool's performance boost and a host of usability improvements. Now you can compare and merge files even more easily and quickly! We have also improved folder synchronization and Code Compare options customization. Furthermore, our file diff tool can now be integrated with Atmel Studio.
2x Faster Application Startup
We have done a great deal to increase Code Compare startup speed. Standalone application start is now two times faster. Opening a file comparison document in Visual Studio is two times faster too. Besides, moving to a new scheme of registering extensions in Visual Studio has contributed to considerable acceleration of the first environment start after installing Code Compare.
Light Text Comparison Interface
The text comparison interface of Code Compare 3.0 has become more self-explanatory and user-friendly. We have removed the extra 'chrome' from it. Now practically all elements of our diff and merge tool's interface have their own function.
So it is much easier now to focus your eyes on what is essential, i.e. on the difference in text of the files.
XML Structure Comparison
This feature allows you to compare and merge well-formed XML files taking into account their structure. Code Compare correlates XML elements and thus makes it easier to detect their movement, deletion and addition in the document text.
This may come in handy, in particular, when comparing XAML files, Visual Studio project files and MS Build XML projects.
New Folder Comparison
We have added a range of new features for folder comparison making it better than ever before.
- Speedup. The speed of directory comparison has increased by 40%.
- Changes Navigation. Commands for navigation through changes have been implemented.
- Group Selection Commands. Commands for multiple files selection by the type of change have been added.
- Files Copying to User-Defined Folders. The possibility to copy the selected files to a user-defined directory has been added.
- Synchronization Split From Copying. The concepts of copying files and synchronizing directories have been split. From now on the user manages the process of changes moving in a more accurate way.
- Read-Only Files Overwriting. The possibility to overwrite read-only files during copying has been added.
- New Appearance. Extra "chrome" has been removed from the comparison document.
- Rearranged Menu. The comparison document pop-up menu has been rearranged.
Comparison Options Setup Improved
We have joined settings storage for the standalone Code Compare application and Visual Studio add-in. Now the user doesn't have to set the same options twice.
Furthermore, we have got rid of the so-called "local options" for the comparison document and moved all the required settings to the main menu. This will allow avoiding confusion when setting up a comparison.
General Application Management Improved
In version 3.0 we tried to improve general Code Compare management taking into account our users' requests. This resulted in the following changes:
- The main menu of the merge tool has been extended with new commands.
- Toolbar content has been optimized.
- Menus and toolbars have been adjusted to a common design in the standalone and integrated Code Compare versions.
- Accessibility of some frequently used commands has been improved.
- Missing shortcuts have been reviewed and added.
Atmel Studio Integration Added
Atmel® Studio 6 is an integrated development platform (based on Visual Studio shell) for developing and debugging Atmel processor-based and micro-controller applications.
Developers of such applications will be able to use all advantages of Code Compare integration into the development environment.
Starting with version 3.0, Code Compare will be available in Atmel Gallery (online apps store supporting the development platform).
Visual Studio 2008 Support Discontinued
We have discontinued support of Visual Studio 2008 in Code Compare 3.0. This has let us give up using an obsolete API for change visualization in the text comparison. And this, in its turn, has provided for more stable operation of our diff and merge tool in Visual Studio 2010 and 2012.
For Visual Studio 2008 users, we keep Code Compare 2.80 available for download from our website.
Download Code Compare now and get a useful code comparison and merge tool for free.
Note: Code Compare also provides a 30-day trial of Code Compare Pro.
Let us know what you think about our diff tool at the Code Compare feedback page. We are looking forward to your comments and suggestions.