Code Review Benefits
Code review, also referred to as peer review, is a systematic examination of software source code. It's conducted to find bugs and improve overall quality of the software.
There are at least two roles that are always present in a code review:
- Author is the person responsible for creating the code being reviewed.
- Reviewer is the person responsible for examining the code and reporting the findings to the author.
Why code reviews matter?
So why bother reviewing code? It's better to say it in other words. What benefits can we get from code review?
The advantages or the goals of code review are the following:
- Finding bugs early, when they are cheap to fix.
- Coding standards compliance. Code review helps to maintain consistent coding style across the company.
- Teaching and sharing knowledge. During review team members gain better understanding of the code base and learn from each other.
- Consistent design and implementation. Peer review helps to maintain a level of consistency in software design and implementation.
- Higher software security. Applications that require a high level of security benefit from targeted security reviews.
- Team cohesion. Review discussions save team members from isolation and bring them closer to each other.
- Confidence of stakeholders. You build confidence of stakeholders about the technical quality of the execution.
Software for code review
Teams often fail to implement sustained code review process because they don't have the right tools. Our code review software saves time and helps to sustain code review process without much hassle. Download and install Review Assistant to explore benefits of code review today!