SQL Formatter and Improved Code Completion in dbForge Studio for SQL Server v.3.5!
February 18, 2014
Devart proudly announces the release of the renowned IDE for SQL Server development, data reporting and analysis — dbForge Studio for SQL Server v.3.5. New SQL Formatter component, improved code completion and updated SQL code refactoring features take the product to a new level, and make your work with SQL Sever more intuitive and efficient!
Brand new SQL Formatter component
We have revised and improved this essential component. Pivotal new formatting features include:
Formatting profile introduced
Formatting preferences stored in an individual file
Personalize SQL formatting settings and save them in a single .xml file for convenient handling.
Multiple formatting profiles and profile import supported
Activate whichever profile that suits your needs best, import and export profiles.
Single-profile for multiple workstations
Share your settings with colleagues to meet the company's code-formatting standards.
New formatting options editor
Option quick search
Use quick search filter when editing formatting settings.
Sample code displays formatting according to current formatting settings
Instant preview for introduced changes.
Editable sample code formatting preview
Insert a piece of your own code into the preview field to see the way it looks like with applied formatting settings.
Enhanced formatting settings
Any SQL-statement formatting can now be adjusted independently and more precisely
Get unique formatting for each statement type.
Formatting settings for sub-queries added
Now sub-queries can be formatted separately from the queries and sub-queries of other query types.
Word recognition for different identifier cases
Switch between UPPER, lower or CamelCase - individual words will still be recognized.
- Independent built-in datatype case formatting settings
New SQL code refactoring features
With the new version, we are taking the product to a new level.
Code and database identifier case synchronization
If your database identifiers were created according to certain adopted rules, then you will have no problem transforming SQL script identifier case to that of the database.
Stored procedure call expansion
It takes a single click to transform EXECUTE statement into a code block containing the procedure body. Execution logic is preserved, which allows easier code debugging.
Refresh suggestions cache
- Automatic suggestions cache refresh by specified time is added
- New option: Refresh suggestions cache on detecting changes on a server
New code completion features
- New Option: Enclose identifiers within square brackets 
- SET IDENTITY INSERT tables suggestion is added
- XML variables suggestion in the FROM statement is added
- Column suggestion in the VALUES statement is added
- Object suggestion for linked servers on SQL Azure is added
- Table order in ON condition of suggested JOIN clause can now be reversed. Behavior can be toggled in the options menu
- Inserted columns in SELECTs are now automatically qualified with a table alias. Behavior can be toggled in the options menu
- Functions are now inserted from suggestion list with braces
- 'Refresh Local Cache' and 'Refresh Suggestions' commands now use the same shortcut
- ALTER TABLE statement now has context-sensitive identifier suggestion
- 'Run Current Statement' command usability slightly improved
- The Express edition has been enhanced with code completion for temporary tables
New code formatter features
- New Option: Add empty line after GO
- New Option: Add parentheses when inserting functions
- New Option: Enable autoformat words while typing
- New Option: Alias Text Case - As in declaration
- Code formatter functionality is available even if code completion is disabled
- Do not format tag is implemented. Now it is possible to format a whole SQL document in the editor ignoring selected code fragments which you do not want to be formatted.
- Alias generation in the UPPER case is available
- Items selection in the list is available even if upper input is expected
- Lots of snippets are added
- Objects describe performance is improved
Learn more about the prices and available editions at the dbForge Studio for SQL Server purchase page.
Download a trial version of dbForge Studio for SQL Server and try out its functionalities within a free 30-day trial period.