Review Assistant 3.0 – TFS Import, Multiple Authors, Binary Files Support
November 18, 2015
We are glad to announce the new release of our tool for code review -
Review Assistant 3.0. In the new version,
we have implemented multiple new features including import of TFS projects and users,
multiple authors per review, initial reviews, binary files support, and much more.
Import Projects and Users from TFS
A new capability was added that allows to quickly import TFS projects together with users. Now, setting up Review Assistant
to work with your projects in TFS is a matter of minutes.
- A user can choose the projects to import.
- Both Visual Studio Online and Team Foundation Server are supported.
- Selectively import users apart from projects.
Multiple authors per review
Oftentimes, it is necessary to review a number of commits of multiple different authors.
The new version allows to add several authors in one review.
- When revisions are added to a review, all related authors are added automatically.
- The list of authors can be edited manually.
- Comments in a review are automatically addressed to the author of a file revision.
- A user responsible for defect fixing can be changed manually.
Initial review for a project
The initial review mode allows to review the code of a project in its current state,
whereas the regular review provides only the inspection of incremental changes to the code.
This feature will be particularly useful to those who are starting to review the code
in a project.
Files, not revisions, are added to a review. The latest revision of the
file is retrieved from the repository.
- Any number of files can be added in a review from the repository.
Based on comments, the latest revisions of files can be added to a review
and several iterations can be implemented.
Flexible editing of revisions in a review
Now you can edit the entire range of revisions added to a review. Previously,
this could only be done for the last iteration.
Better work with the file list in a review
It is now possible to hide read files. This is especially useful
when a large list of files is reviewed.
- You can compare revisions for renamed files.
- Additional options in the popup menu of files:
the Open Containing Folder command allows
to quickly display a file in Windows Explorer;
the Copy Full Path command allows to copy to the
clipboard the full path to a file.
Working with binary files
Now you can review binary files within a review.
- A binary file opens in the associated editor.
- The Add File Comment command is supported for binary files.
- Defects markers appear red in Code Editor.
- E-mail notifications are sent to all participants of a review, regardless of their role.
- For a strict review workflow, participants of the review are restricted in rights to close and delete other users' comments.
- An integrated administrator account is not considered a licensed user if it is not involved in projects.
- Branch names are now displayed in the Add Revisions dialog box for Git. Also, a splitter was added to the dialog box.
- Creating accounts without a password is no longer allowed.
Learn more about the prices and available bundles of the add-in at the
Review Assistant purchase
the full-featured free version of Review Assistant, which includes a 30-day trial for
forum to see what features will be implemented in the next release. Also, you can share your own ideas
about new features you want to see in Review Assistant.