Copying SQL Server Database with the Copy Database Wizard
The article is dedicated to the Copy Database wizard of dbForge Studio for SQL Server. The wizard is specially designed to simplify and optimize such routine and common procedure as the database duplication.
Thus, in this article, we will go into detail of working with the Copy Database wizard and describe the nuances involved with the database duplication procedure.
Limitations and Restrictions
Before you start working with the Copy Database wizard, make sure to comply with the following limitations and restrictions.
- SQL Server version on target must be the same or higher than that on the source.
You can not copy or move the following databases:
- System databases.
- Databases marked for replication.
- Databases marked Inaccessible, Loading, Offline, Recovering, Suspect.
- You must be a member of the sysadmin server role on both the source and target servers.
- If target and source servers are located on the same computer, SQL Agent should be run on target server. Otherwise, SQL Agent should be run on both the source and target servers.